Do I need a Permit for New Door and Window Openings?

Yes, A building permit is required for enclosing existing exterior porch areas (e.g. enclosing a front porch).​

Establishing new openings may affect the Heat Loss for the property, and will sometimes require an additional HVAC Heat Gain/ Loss Calculation made by a certified designer or Engineer to be included with the submission.

In addition, Doors for Sleeping areas particularly need to comply with the OBC and offer a certain percentage of the room area.

In some cases, New openings may act as a means of egress (Escape / Exit), and will have to offer specific opening methods and sizes.

Leave a Reply