Do I need a Permit for Interior Alterations?

A building permit is required for all structural alterations (or material changes) within single family dwellings, semi-detached dwellings and townhouse dwelling units.

(e.g. permit to remove a load bearing wall).

a permit is also required for removing any wall regardless if it is load-bearing or not.

A Building Permit is not required for painting, replacing counter-tops, replacing an old window or a door, adding a lighting fixture, or replacing tiles or floors. It is always best to check with the Municipality first, and always hire a certified insured contractor to do the work.

Leave a Reply